Sunday, September 16, 2012

Autumn Berry Jam

I made some jam with the several pounds of autumn olives (autumn berries) I gathered last week.

Cleaning the berries....removing the stems is a bit tedious.

I used the recipe that I found in this You Tube video which is essentially 4 cups of autumn berry juice (or puree), 5 1/2 cups sugar, a generous table spoon of lemon juice and a box of pectin. I used a food mill to separate the skin and seeds from the juice and pulp. I've read that the clear juice of autumn berries likes to separate from the solids and caused marbling in the jam but I had very little of these problems by continuously stirring the puree. 

The food mill worked like a charm! Autumn berry puree in the bowl and the skin and seeds in the mill.


The results were fantastic! The jam is a beautiful red color, the texture is smooth, and the taste is amazing. The added sugar required for canning makes it sweet, yet the natural tartness of the berries finishes off each bite.

I ended up with about eight 8 oz jars of jam. The process was simple and straight forward, and my friends and family love the jam. So, for about one hour of gathering and another hour of processing and canning, and for a total cost of about $1 for the pectin,  I have more than enough jam for my family and friends for many, many months.
Today's breakfast: wheat toast and autumn berry jam!


I recommend that everybody get out and gather some autumn berries and make some jam. The fruit is plentiful and easy to find and it is rich in the antioxidant  lycopene and other valuable nutrients!


3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Looks like time very well spent. I'm sure your family and friends appreciate it, too. :)

    Will you harvest more berries and do something else with them, e.g. freezing, drying etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that autumn berries will last on the bushes for a good while yet so I have a bit of time to do more gathering. I'm not sure they would work well dried due to the large seed in each berry. However, I think that autumn berry puree may make a good fruit leather, maybe even mixed with a sweeter fruit. As of now I do not have a dehydrator so it would have to be done in the oven. I've never made fruit leather so I'll have to do a little research before I harvest more berries for that. Thanks for the comments! :)

      Delete
  2. That looks great. This reminded me of how much I miss fresh jam :(

    ReplyDelete