Monday, January 2, 2012

First outing of 2012

Well, deer season is finally over, which means it's safe to be in the woods again. I took advantage of this first day of forest sanity to do some hiking and to try out some new clothing. The weather was brisk (mid to upper 20s) and blustery. I had the woods to myself today and its amazing how quiet the forest is during the fall and winter, especially around hunting season when all the critters are still in hiding. There was a dusting of fresh snow on the ground which was great for tracking squirrels, which was really my only distraction from hiking today. I did notice this wasp hive about ten feet from the trail... oddly enough I walked past it 6 or 8 times this summer and fall without noticing it and without the inhabitants attacking me.

No comments:

Post a Comment